Tuesday, May 24, 2011

18 going on... 67?


     I have come to terms with myself- I have an old soul, and there is no fighting it. Most 19 year olds (cough cough) get excited about going clubbing or hitting up a raging party. I like to read, crochet, sew, and watch BBC mini series' with my parents. Hey, but that does not mean I am a total dud- I put on a good smile in those "raging party" situations. O, and to add to my old soul, I just got a job as a librarian at an elementary school. Honestly, it's kind of ridiculous.
    Lately I have gotten really into sewing and crocheting. The only problem with this is I am not very good at either of these things, I just kinda pretend I know what I am doing. I spend just as much time taking stitches out as I do putting them in- but it is all about the journey! Right?
    But there is light at the end of this tunnel. After spending about two hours on youtube and signing up for two crocheting websites I finally learned the granny square. This technique usually involves making tons of these squares and then joining them together at the end to make a really cool pattern. My great- grandmother actually crocheted a beautiful blanket using this technique, and coincidentally this blanket happens to be on my bed, and also serves as my inspiration to master the art of crocheting! Although this technique is quite simple I decided it was still too hard, and instead of making tons of cool different squares, I made the executive decision to make just one humungous square. I am about a fourth the way done now, and am actually quite pleased!
     For anyone that has ever crocheted before, they know there is lots of free-mind wander time, but not lots of free- hand wander time, so sometimes while crocheting crazy thoughts and ideas usually pop into heads- well mine at least, but I guess this does not come as a surprise to people who know me!  Well this thought is an exception. It is exactly what I think about everything, and basically base this blog off! It is the question how how crocheting started. Which women decided that making lots of tiny knots would work really well as blankets,or scarves, or hats etc. I now see that this may be a sexist remark- maybe a man invented this technique (although I doubt it! It is the women who come up with the really good ideas- see the tamale post!) But to be fair I decided to find out the real answer of how crocheting came to be, and as usual I hopped onto the world wide web to find out. Here is what I found!
      It turns out there is little known of the history of crochet. There are theories to it's origins, but nothing definite. And even these origins are "hotly disputed"- I just picture the council of crochet masters sitting around a dimly lighted room giving each other evil stares while "hotly debating" the origins of tying knots with a hook.
     As I read further into the history of crochet I found myself just getting really bored, and I want people to keep reading my blog so I will spare the details. The important thing to remember is don't try and discuss which origin theory is right, because you might find yourself in the middle of a hot debate!

My Blanket so far!

My great-grandmother's afghan
Close- up!


No comments:

Post a Comment