Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Should it be called swallowing gum?

   You don't have to be a brain scientist to figure out I have been busy! Yep, that's right, looks like ol' Beff finally got a life. Although my life consists of reading to little kids all day, it is still something!
     But low and behold all good things come to an end and my last day of work is this Friday. I do not like this. So I have been trying to find another job. One that doesn't make me want to gag myself on an hourly basis. See the thing is I had a really nice gig at the elementary school. No one ever really bothered me in that Library, and since my mom is a teacher at the school, most all the teachers were already predisposed to like me. Not to mention the kids thought I was really cool because I knew all the youtube quotes they threw around, and I like Lady Gaga. Yep, it was the sweet life. But now the school year is ending and I am yet again on the hunt for a job.
    This brings me to my topic. Chewing gum, and if it really sits in your stomach for 7 years. Not seeing the correlation between looking for a job and the digestibility of gum? Don't worry it is not because you are stupid, it simply means you are slow, and that is nothing to be ashamed of.
    So here is the story. I was thinking of place to work, which is hard for me because I HATE doing menial jobs with mean bosses. This is why I did not last at Forever 21 or The Bridal Collection. But those are stories for another day.
   Today I went to Pier 1 Imports to inquire about their current hiring situation. As I walked into the store I remember one of the biggest no-no's in job searching. DO NOT CHEW GUM. But of course I did not realize I was chomping on my own piece until after I walked into the store and the manager saw me. I couldn't go spit it out, the only choice was to...gulp... swallow it.
     You know, I have never been one for swallowing gum. It always gags me, but desperate times calls me for desperate measures. So I did it.
     I didn't notice it at first, but about an hour or so later my throat started feeling really weird. Then I felt the heartburn (or at least what I think heartburn is). I think I have successful lodged my gum in my throat... great.
     So that old wives tale popped into my head! Will I have a piece of gum stuck to my stomach or intestines for the next seven years??
    Don't worry you don't need to whip out the "Get Well Soon" or "Thinking of You" cards yet, because as it turns out I am safe! Although it is not suggested to swallow CHEWING gum it is not harmful for adults. It will just pass through like everything else! Without delving deeper into the inter-workings of bowel movements we will leave it at that!
     But this still does not explain the very gum like lump I feel in my throat, so just take my suggestion and DO NOT SWALLOW YOUR GUM, even if you are going to inquiry about a job.
                                                    O so small yet O so treacherous

No comments:

Post a Comment